Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] searching capture file for text

From: "Kevin Cohen" <kcohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:06:13 -0700
since you know the source and destination, you can use this command

$original_file = binary dump file
$ip1 = your machine
$ip2 = web server
$outfile is new binary containing your just the traffic from your client machine t and the web server

tethereal -r $original_file -R '(ip.src == $ip1 && ip.dst == $ip2) || (ip.src == $ip2 && ip.dst == $ip1)' -w $output

just remember if $ip1 or $ip2 is a name and not a number you have to use eq instead of ==.  That is if your ip address is www.server.com instead of 10.0.0.1

Hope this helps.  Also, you should read the man page on tethereal.  Also Snort can separate your large dump file into more manageable dump files.  You should look at Snort and do a man on that also