Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] NFS-over-TCP sniffing problem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:48:57 -0700
On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:44:12PM +0200, Saul wrote:
> I'm trying to examine some NFS-over-TCP session, but can't get ethereal to
> show me any of the NFS data.

If so, then Ethereal is not finding the ONC RPC-over-TCP in the TCP
segments, so even if you *were* somehow able to force it to *try* to
dissect the TCP session as NFS-over-ONC-RPC, it wouldn't work.

It might be worth turning on TCP reassembly; select the "Preferences"
item in the "Edit" menu, and, in the dialog box it pops up:

	expand the list of protocols by clicking on the "[+]" box;

	select "TCP" in that list;

	turn on "Allow subdissector to desegment TCP streams";

	click "Save" if you want that behavior made the default when you
	start up Ethereal;

	click "OK".

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd have to see the capture in order
to determine why it's not seeing the RPC-over-TCP headers.