Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Brand new

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 17:45:02 -0700
On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 08:36:20PM -0400, Joseph R. Skoler wrote:
> Now I get the msg:
>

> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 172.166.226.117:0.0

You might need to use "xhost" (or some GUI equivalent, if it exists on
whatever desktop you're using) on 172.166.226.117 to allow the machine
on which you're running Ethereal to connect to the X server on
172.166.226.117.

If you've done that, then, if you're running Ethereal as root, you may
also need to use "xhost" (or a GUI equivalent) to allow root on the
machine on which you're running Ethereal to connect to the X server.

(I'm assuming here that

	1) you have an X server running on 172.166.226.117

and

	2) there's no firewall preventing the machine on which you're
	   running Ethereal from connecting to that X server.

If either of *those* are true, you're out of luck, unless there's some
form of X tunneling available to you.  I have the impression that there
might be a way of tunning X over SSH, but I know nothing about it.)