Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

From: Kun Fan Wang <kunfanwang999@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:25:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I installed ethereal 0.8.11.0 on my AIX4.3.3.0 machines. The versions I am using are as follows:
(ethereal -v)

"ethereal 0.8.11, with GTK+ 1.2.8, with libpcap 0.6, with libz 1.1.3, without SNMP"

Now I have two problems:

1. When I tried to capture packets from Token Ring interface, I got the following error messages:

    "The capture session could not be initiated (recv_ack: bind error 0x1). Please check to make
     sure you have sufficient permissions, and that you have the proper interface or pipe
     specified."

2. When I tried to capture packets from Fast Ethernet interface, I got the following warning
   messages:

    "WARNING: DL_PROMISC_MULTI failed (recv_ack: promisc_multi error 0x3)
     WARNING: DL_PROMISC_SAP failed (recv_ack: promisc_sap error 0x3)"

   The ethereal can not capture the packets being sent from the machines where the ethereal
   installed.
   ("iptrace" can capture all the packets between the ethereal machines and any other machines.)

I have checked this site and could not find the right solution. Any help would be much
appreciated!

Thanks,
Ping
kunfanwang999@xxxxxxxxx