Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and WLAN sniffing.

From: Nick Drage <nickd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:23:10 +0000
On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 10:08:46PM -0500, Phongsak Prasithsangaree wrote:
> We are trying to sniff WLAN using Ethereal. We have gone thru many
> documents about how to set it up, but they were not instructive enough.
>
> Does anyone have a document or webpage about how to set an Ethereal to
> sniff an 802.11 wireless LAN?

Try http://www.goonda.org/wireless/aironet/ but if you've been through "many
documents" I suspect you've seen that one already.

If you run tcpdump on the relevant interface, does that display the traffic?

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but if you get nothing from
tcpdump either I'd guess that the problem lies with your wireless card
configuration rather than with ethereal.

--
ipsa scientia potestas est