Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Using Cisco 340 and 350 Cards

From: "Ulf Bertilsson" <ulf.bertilsson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:21:31 +0100
> I tried to get my CISCO 340 and 350 cards running under linux
> on my notebook.

So did I :)

I have 340 PCMICA card.

> For sniffing the WLAN protocols ( not only IP pakets).

>From my short experince you only get "broadcast" type of traffic.
But I have only tested in LAB and a short car trip.

> Setting the parameter "Mode: rfmon" as described in the FAQ
> didn't work. The driver doesn't accept it. I tried the Red
> Hat 7.2 drivers, the Cisco ones and also airo-linux. Maybe I
> have the wrong versions.
> - Who got it working ?

Me, I asked the same thing about 14 days ago,
and got some good pointers in private.

I'm sure you get the same.

> - How ?

Out of the box :)

> - Which drivers and kernel version ?

I must edmit we where pretty drunk when we set it up.
But any kernel with support for the card should do I guess.

We used an old Red hat, that we recompiled.

> - Where to get the driver ?

AIK th drivers is in kernel.
You need pcmica and wiretap tho.

> - Which one of the cards works ( 350 and airo-linux doesn't
> work, it seems)

340 card is very good indeed.

I'm realy supprised for all the data we got.

Sorry for no real direct pointers.

Feel free to mail me in private for
futher discussion or share experience.

--