Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Visual Networks file format

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 13:13:18 -0800 (PST)
> Has anybody been able to save a Visual Networks capture in another format?
> I can read it but when I try to "save as" the only selection for file format
> is the one that it is currently in.

On what type of network was the capture done?  Ethernet, Token Ring,
X.25, WAN using Cisco HDLC or PPP, or Frame Relay?

Whether Ethereal can write out a capture file in another format depends
on whether it includes support for that particular network type in that
particular capture file format.  Some file formats don't support
particular network types at all; others do, but we might not know how to
write out a file of that type (in many cases, our support of particular
capture file formats came from reverse-engineering, which may not be
sufficient to let us know how to write out a capture file in that
format).

Ethereal should be able to write out Ethernet and Token Ring captures in
most if not all of the capture file formats it can write at all; the WAN
capture formats are another matter.