Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] RE: Ethereal-users digest, Vol 1 #541 - 14 msgs

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:59:28 -0800 (PST)
> 1) There is a protocol designed for that, called ARP/RARP. This allows you
> to get the resolution you want.

RARP, in particular - ARP requests are for getting MAC addresses given
IP addresses.  I don't know if there are any commands for Windows (or
UNIX, for that matter) that'll send out a RARP request).

> 2) However, as to a specific utility designed for that, one of the easiest
> things to do if you're on the same subnet: PING the box,

If he wants to resolve a MAC address to an IP address because he knows
the MAC address, doesn't know the IP address, but wants to know the IP
address, pinging the box might be a bit difficult....