Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 0.9.0 Binaries for Win32 (Win 9x)

From: "Kornmueller, Thomas" <Thomas.Kornmueller@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 17:49:29 +0100
Quoting Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> An important Win32 change in this version of Ethereal is the placement of
> the user's config/. They are now placed in "Application
> Data\Ethereal" in the .

In addition to all using versions of OS Win 9x, I found following:

Ethereal versions before 0.9.0 stored the user's preferences files into the
directory 'C:\.ethereal' (notice the dot!) instead into the user's profile
directory.

If there is no user's profile directory, the new version ethereal 0.9.0
tries to save the preferences into the directory 'C:\ethereal', but comes
back with an error " not able to create directory C:, file exits " .

To work around, create the directory 'C:\ethereal' manually and move, if
necessary, the  files created by former versions into that directory.

Now preferences, capture filters, display filters, a.s.o. can be edit *and*
saved again.

- Thomas Kornmüller