Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal and PrismDump packets

From: Joe Tomasone <joe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:43:09 -0500
Unless I am missing something, Prismdump does not work with non-Prism cards. Cisco is not a Prism-II based card.

        - Joe

At 12:55 AM 12/13/2001, you wrote:
Dear ALL,

I tried to use Ethereal to Decode PrismDump packets
from a WLAN setup.

Somehow, the second Octet in every packet is always
wrong, resulting in Ethereal decoding the the packet
as some other format. I checked though that the rest
of the packet is correct.

All i want to do is to do implement some form of a low
cost WLAN monitoring on my own network. But its been a
really rough ride.

First, Ethereal with Libpcap (2001-11-26) seems to
always get the bytes starting with the WEP-IVs wrong
(the first part of every other packet is
correct...i.e....BSSID, Dest MAC...etc..).

PrismDump can get the whole thing right (i think) but
somehow its 802.11 dump is intepreted by ethereal as
some LLC packet.

My setup is RH7.2, Libpcap (2001-11-26), Ethereal
(0.8.20) and a Cisco Aironet 350 card.

Can anyone help?

Regards
Darren