Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] crc error in win32 distro

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:20:33 -0800
On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:10:33AM -0600, John Zimmerman wrote:
> hello, i'm running win98 and I get a crc error when trying to run the setup
> program. (Installer CRC invalid)  I downloaded it three times, and I have
> broadband, so I don't think it is from my transmission.

Broadband has nothing to do with it.  That's a link-layer issue; there
are several layers *above* the link layer that could make a difference,
and the most likely layer (as it's the one without error checking) is
the FTP or HTTP layer.

For example, it may be that whatever tool you're using to download the
setup program is getting confused (yes, it is possible for even very
popular Web browsers to get confused) and downloading it in text mode
rather than binary mode; when downloading a file in text mode, the
server or the downloading program may transform the data under the
assumption that it's a text file, so that the downloaded copy is a text
file in the appropriate format for the machine downloading it.  If,
however, the file is a binary file, that transformation merely turns it
into junk.

Unfortunately, I don't know what tools have what problems, as I've never
seen that particular problem using Netscape 4.78 (or whatever) on
Windows NT or any flavor of UNIX.  I also don't know whether Windows 98
comes with a command-line FTP program, and don't know what other
programs are available for Windows to do downloading (via FTP or HTTP),
so you'll have to try other programs, or ask for help from somebody who
has had the problem and fixed it, or something such as that.