Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal in Win2K

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:00:59 -0800
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 03:17:29AM +0800, darren wrote:
> Is there anyway I can get Ethereal in Promiscuous mode with Win2K and
> the Cisco Aironet350 Wifi???

Only if

	1) the card supports promiscuous mode

and

	2) the driver for that card, when asked to set the NDIS packet
	   filter (OID_GEN_CURRENT_PACKET_FILTER) to
	   NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_PROMISCUOUS, turns on promiscuous mode.

You would have to ask the supplier of the card whether it supports
promiscuous mode.  (A search for "+aironet +promiscuous" on the Cisco
Web site found nothing from Cisco to indicate whether it does or not.)

If it does, you would have to ask the supplier of the driver (whether
it's Microsoft, Cisco, or whoever) whether the driver turns on
promiscuous mode when asked to.

If you then told us what they said, we could put that in the FAQ, and
subsequent discussion of that question would not be inconclusive.