Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] problem with reading AIX iptrace file (apparently giop creates

From: "Porky Pig" <porky_pig_jr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 18:41:33 -0800
Hello,

this is my first attempt to use ethereal. The major reason is that I have to convert the capture traces taken on AIX to something Sniffer can understand. TCPDUMP on AIX is broken, so we use IPTRACE.

Ethereal is installed on solaris 8, I've put the latest version (20), but the same results are with prior version, (19).

The first IPTRACE file - no problems. I read it into Ethereal, and saved as SNOOP, NGSNIFFER, whatever. No problems.

The second IPTRACE file - various problems. It has GIOP packets which apparently Ethereal has some problems with. As I read the file in, I get several messages:

WARNING  giop: We don't yet dissect LOCATION_FORWARD

It does read the file, but I can't convert it into anything. Except save under the different name, but only as another IPTRACE file (with this file, a pull-down menu shows only one option, IPTRACE 2.0. Now another problem. I've thought of filtering out the offending packets (with GIOP), saving the file as IPTRACE, reload it, and hopefully it would work. Alas, somehow display filters with this file fail as well. I setup the filters, apply them, file is reloaded, and it doesn't show the offending packets anymore, but when I save it, somehow it saves everything. So I can't get rid of offending packets. (I know I apply filters correctly, on a first file I've tried the same filter type, and it worked just fine. I filter by IP addresses rather than by protocol GIOP).

So I'm stuck. And there is no other utilities I can use to convert IPTRACE to non-AIX format. So Ethereal is my only hope. Any idea on what's wrong?

TIA.

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/