Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] DIAMETER protocol errors?

From: Richard Urwin <RUrwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:06:57 +0100
I have come across a probable failure to correctly identify an SMB packet.
While I was busy watching something unrelated, a text window (I'm on WinNT
4) opened with lots of messages like:
    DIAMETER: Bad packet: Bad Flags or Version
    DIAMETER: Packet too short: 0 bytes less than min size (28 bytes))
On investigation it appears that they happen when my collegue saves a Word
2000 document from his NT 4 desktop to his Win 2000 laptop. They come
interspersed with "SMB no such command response" packets from the lap-top,
but it does seem to understand at least a few of them.

Ethereal does not seem to identify the packets as having a Netbios session
protocol, even though it is correctly decoding the other side of the
conversation. There does not seem to be a framing problem; "SMB" occurs in
both sides of the conversation 6 bytes into the TCP payload.

--
Richard Urwin, Software Design Engineer
Ricardo Test Automation