Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Protocol filtering...question

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:32:22 -0700 (PDT)
> I can't seem to get Ethereal to accept a capture
> filter for filtering by protocol.  I looked at the
> user manual and tried it the way it suggested and
> still no luck.  Here's the various ways I tried
> entering the filter (without quotes): "proto tcp" or
> "ip proto tcp" or "ip|ether proto tcp".  Any way I try
> it, I get a parse error when I actually try to start
> capturing packets.  Any suggestions?

I suggest you report this bug to tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx; it appears
to be a libpcap bug, as I'm having the same problem with the latest CVS
versions of libpcap and tcpdump - and a long-standing bug at that, as I
also have the same problem with libpcap 0.4/tcpdump 3.4 from Lawrence
Berkeley Laboratory.