Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethernet LAN emulation in a switched network .

From: "McNutt, Justin M." <McNuttJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:55:00 -0500
This doesn't truly apply to this list that much but I'll reply anyway:

First let me point out that Ethernet and Token Ring can also be switched
networks.  When you say "emulating an Ethernet LAN on a switched network" I
assume you mean you'll be using LANE on an ATM network, right?

Fortunately, if you're just interesting in IP packet forwarding, you don't
have to worry about layer 2 or layer 3.  Get the 'NetCat' package (look for
'nc110.tgz' on the 'Net).  Version 1.10 probably isn't the latest; that's
just the one I have so I know it exists.

Anyway, NetCat will allow you to arbitrarily forward and/or mangle packets
that come into a unix box.  I believe there's also a Windows version, but
I've only messed with the Unix version.

If you mean that you want to forward *Ethernet* frames, though, that's a
Linux kernel function.  Recompile your kernel to support Bridging (which in
this case is the same as switching).  Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation
for info on how to do this, and also on http://www.linux.org (click on
Documentation on the left, then on the HOWTO link, look for the Bridging
HOWTO).

Hope that helps!

--J