Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal bugs?

From: Paul Aitken <paitken@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:39:50 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 02:32:59PM +0100, Paul Aitken wrote:
> > Click Capture then Start.
> >
> > Either
> >
> > a) Click the filter button and choose a saved pre-tested and known good
> > filter, or

** This is misleading - see below

> > b) Type a filter criteria
> >
> > OK the capture preferences.
> >
> > Get a warning "Unable to parse filter string (parse error)." sometimes
> > with random chars appended. Screenshot attached.
>
> What are some of the filter expressions you've tried?

!stp
!cdp
!stp && !cdp

> (The random chars probably only occur if you've selected "Update list of
> packets in real time"; there was a bug in the code that receives error
> messages from the child process, where it failed to '\0'-terminate the
> message - fixed in the CVS tree.)

This seems to be correct, so you've undoubtedly fixed it already!

Still, the "Ethereal: Capture Preferences" dialog won't accept any of
the following filters:

stp
!stp
!cdp
!stp && !cdp

citing "Unable to parse filter string (parse error).". It accepts "cdp"
but doesn't seem to filter according to that criteria.

tcp and !tcp seem to work OK.

Clicking on the "Filter:" button shows the "Ethereal: Capture Filter"
dialog. I previously thought the filters displayed here were the same as
those configured using the "Ethereal: Display Filter" dialog (see **
above) but I've now realised that this is not the case. Presumably then
there's a difference between what's acceptable as a display filter and
what's acceptable as a capture filter? Why so?

BTW, when I click "OK" or "Apply" on the "Ethereal: Display Filter"
dialog, a small squarish window with a STOP button appears and then
disappears extremely quickly?

Ummm... for all the apparent criticism, ethereal is one of the best
tools. I hope this helps sort out some minor bugs!
--
Paul Aitken
IPv6 Development, Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland. EH6 6LX