Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Filters

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:18:21 -0400
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:19:58PM +0300, Nawar, Hany Nader Soliman (Hany) wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to ask about the difference between display and capture filters,
> and when to use either of them.

Capture filters are applied during the capturing of packets. Ethereal
uses the pcap library for capturing packets, and that library
has a particular syntax for filtering.

Display filters are applied to the already-captured packets and
affect what is shown Ethereal's main window. The syntax for
display filters is Ethereal-specific.

> I would like to know also how to supply display filters to ethereal?

Capture filters are typed into the Filter text entry widget
in the capture dialogue.

Display filters are typed in to the Filter text entry widget
at the bottom of the main Ethereal window.

--gilbert