Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] retransmission of captured packetes

From: "Bernard, Kurt A." <KABERNARD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:40:15 -0500
Hi, I would like to do some testing with the packets I capture on my network which has multiple segments seperated by routers.  But I'm not sure what would happen in the following situations:

A.  If I put a collection unit on each segment and collect packets for 24 hours, and later retransmit the packets collected, will the routers forward the packets?  I assume the following set of test conditions for this test: I would need to reset the time on all routers and synch them to the ms; I would have to synch the times of all the collection/retransmission systems to the routers down to the ms;  I would have to throttle transmission rates and coordinate start/stop transmission times.

I figure i'll use something like replay to send the packets again...but that may not be enough...dont know if replay will send at rate packets were received at.  Anyone know of another app I can use that does send at the rate received?  I tried NG Sniffer but it cant open large files without croaking and I cannot determine if the packets are trasmitted at the rate received or not.

B.  If I upgrade to GIGE on the network and upgrade my collection unit's hardware, can ethereal handle the capture and analysis?

Any help or ideas will be greatyly appreciated.

Kurt