Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Cannot see outgoing packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:43:58 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm running Ethereal on Solaris and cannot see any outgoing packets from
> my own machine.  Software versions are:
>
> Solaris:        2.7
> Ethereal:       0.8.18

Make absolutely positively sure you have enabled promiscuous mode; in
0.8.18, it's not the default, and, at least with some network devices in
at least some situations, not enabling promiscuous mode causes the SunOS
5.x packet capture mechanism not to see packets sent from the machine.

In the next release, promiscuous mode will be the default again,
although note that on 0.8.18 the promiscuous-vs-non-promiscuous mode was
made a saved preference, so that if you've ever done a "Save" from the
"Preferences" dialog box, Ethereal will default to non-promiscuous mode
even in the next release (unless we make it no longer a saved
preference), so you'd need to do a promiscuous-mode capture and then,
after the capture is done, select "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu and
then click "Save" to update the preferences (or edit your
"~/.ethereal/preferences" file, if you have one, and change the
"capture.prom_mode" line to say "TRUE" rather than "FALSE"; if you don't
have one, create one, with the line

	capture.prom_mode: TRUE

in it).

Doing the above should also make 0.8.18 default to promiscuous mode.