Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Interfaces

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 10:37:27 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Nawar, Hany Nader Soliman (Hany) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running ethereal under Solaris 2.6. I'm unable to start capturing
> because there are no interfaces shown in the combo box.  Libpcap and tcpdump
> are already installed.
> Any help?

Are you running Ethereal as root, or as an unpriveleged user?  In order
for Ethereal to be able to capture under Solaris, you need read and write
access to the network device that corresponds to the interface you want to
listen on.  E.g., if you want to listen on hme0, you need access to
/dev/hme.  You can accomplish this by running as root, or by changing the
permissions on the device in question.