Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problems adding a dissector

From: Patrick Hartling <patrick@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:59:36 -0500
I have been trying to add a dissector for a TCP-based protocol, but I
cannot seem to get Ethereal 0.8.18 to use it.  I read README.developer and
have been comparing the code I wrote with that of other dissectors, but I
have hit a wall.  The primary problems may be my inexperience with
Ethereal and the fact that the protocol I am dissecting uses port 6000,
the same as X11.  When I load the dump (generated with snoop), Ethereal
thinks it is a collection of X11 packets.  When I try to decode it using
my dissector (through the Decode As ... menu option), the added protocol
isn't showing up in the list.  It does, however, appear in the dialog
showing all the decoding protocols.  Is there something that I have to do
beyond calling proto_register_protocol() from my dissector's
proto_register_xxx() function?  Would it help if I remove the X11 dissector?
Thanks.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@xxxxxxx				| 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916
http://www.137.org/patrick/		| http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/