Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Installing GTK

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 14:57:15 -0700
On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 05:08:39PM -0400, Tony Paredes wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of detail, it betrays my frustration, but i am determined
> to overcome this.  I am installing it on an old dell laptop, which is
> running Mandrake 8.0
>
> If the Gnome desktop is running then X must already be installed.

The *user* part of X must already be installed.

The *developer* part - which you need in order to compile X applications
- needn't be installed.

I don't know what Mandrake calls the "developer" package for X, so I
can't tell you what you'd need to install.  There almost certainly will
be "developer" packages for X - and for GLib and GTK+ as well, and also
for libpcap.  You will, at minimum, need the "developer" packages for X,
GLib, and GTK+, and if you want to be able to capture packets, you will
also need the "developer" package for libpcap.  There may also be
"developer" packages for the UCD or CMU SNMP library, and for zlib; if
you want to have Ethereal interpret SNMP OIDs, you'll need a "developer"
package for one of those SNMP libraries, and if you want to be able to
read gzipped capture files, you'll need a "developer" package for zlib.

Note also that the binary download section on the Ethereal Web site:

	http://www.ethereal.com/download.html#binaries

says that there are binary packages of Ethereal for Mandrake, in the
"contrib" section of Cooker; that might be another alternative.