Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal unable to capture outgoing packets on Windows2000 dial

From: "Koby Kahane" <kobyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:51:48 +0200
On a post dated Jan 3 2001, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. notes that he is unable to
capture outgoing packets using Ethereal. His message is archived at
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200101/msg00000.html

I am experiencing the same problem, on Windows 2000 however. Replies to his
post claim that a bug in WinPcap library versions prior to 2.1 is to blame.
He then goes on to say that installing the newer library did not solve his
problem. Afterwards, he is told to recompile Ethereal against the new
library in order not to have buggy code linked in. I am not sure what he
did, but I myself have tried this procedure. However, compiling Ethereal
against WinPcap 2.1 using Visual C++ 6 has resulted in an even more broken
executable, which is unable to perform any capturing at all. Thus, I have
two questions:
1. Is being linked into a buggy WinPcap really the cause of this problem
with Ethereal on Win32?
2. If indeed a newer binary linked against the new library version solves
the problem, where can I get one, considering my failure to produce one
which is functional on my own.

Best wishes,
	Koby Kahane