Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Cron job

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:04:30 -0800 (PST)
> Seems to me this would go along really well with the discussion of having a
> miniature stub-capture helper program that could be used by ethereal for
> easy setuid without setuid-gtk.

Of course, if the goal is to allow ordinary users to capture packets,
there are other ways to do that on a number of platforms; from the
tcpdump man page:

     Under SunOS with nit or bpf:  To run tcpdump you  must  have
     read  access  to  /dev/nit or /dev/bpf*.  Under Solaris with
     dlpi: You must have read access to the network  pseudo  dev-
     ice, e.g.  /dev/le.  Under HP-UX with dlpi: You must be root
     or it must be installed setuid to  root.   Under  IRIX  with
     snoop:  You  must  be root or it must be installed setuid to
     root.  Under Linux: You must be root or it must be installed
     setuid  to  root.   Under  Ultrix and Digital UNIX: Once the
     super-user  has  enabled  promiscuous-mode  operation  using
     pfconfig(8),  any user may run tcpdump.  Under BSD: You must
     have read access to /dev/bpf*.

On Linux, if your Linux distribution makes the capability flags useful,
i.e. allows you to arrange that particular users get particular
capabilities set in their login process, giving users the CAP_NET_RAW
capability should allow them to capture packets.  Unfortunately, I don't
know whether any Linux distribution has versions of login/{x,g,k}dm/etc.
that support this.