Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] I'm a virgin !

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gilramir@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:20:27 -0600
James Vella wrote:

> Hiya Gilbert,
>
> This is the first time I've used (trying to) Ethereal, I've set it up and
> some bits are running and some are not.  I am running m$ w2k, I created 2
> directories one called "glib" which is located at "%SystemRoot%\glib" and
> the other "c:\ethereal" both paths in the environment variables, this part
> works fine.
>
> The problem arises as and when I try and run "ethereal.exe" (version
> 0.8.16.0(latest version off your site)) I get the error message "The
> procedure entry point gtk_init_abi_check could not be located in the dynamic
> link library gtk-1.3.dll"  But, when I try to run an older version it works
> (version 0.8.10.0), is this because I using the older versions of
> "gtk-libs-20000416", if so where can I get a newer version.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> James Vella

Be sure to always read the README.win32 file that comes with the
binary distribution. Or read the win32-README.txt, which is the
same file, in the distribution directory:

http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/win32-README.txt

Specifically, there's a nice chart in there specifying which version
of GTK+/GLIB you need:

Ethereal Version		GTK+/GLIB version
----------------		-----------------
0.8.16 and after		20001226
0.8.11 - 0.8.15			20000805
0.8.9 - 0.8.10			20000416
0.8.8 and before		19990828

(sometimes you *can* use older versions of the gtk+/glib, but
it depends on what symbols were added/removed from the library, as
you found out in this case. If you use this handy chart, you'll
always be safe)

Conviently, we provide the DLLs at the same URL:

http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

You'll find gtk-libs-20001226.zip there.

--gilbert