Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Cron job

From: "Jon Holden-Dye" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:18:52 +0100
Newbie (both Ethereal and Linux) alert ! (I.e. please be gentle...). If you can suggest a more appropriate list, feel free.

I need to capture stuff automatically - generate a new capture file once per day. I.e. Stop the previous day's capture and Start a new capture. I think I know how to use crontab to create an entry, but haven't got a clue how to write a suitable .job file for the crontab entry !

I'd like to create the files with the system date forming the first part of the filename, e.g. 20010329_dbcsup.cap.

I'm not sure whether it's best to actually cron-schedule Ethereal itself to do the captures, or just use tcpdump (for later analysis with Ethereal, of course). (I need to capture *some* large packets - but think I know how to tell tcpdump to do that on it's command line - as part of the cron .job file.)

Any kind soul that can help ?

TIA, Jon H-D