Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: Bug in display ASCII by tcp-follow ???

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:19:10 -0800
On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:07:09PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
> > This may be a specifically german disability <g>,
>
> Or it may either be a Windows-specific disability or a problem fixed
> since 0.8.16; the current Ethereal seems to show me the headers of the
> mail message when run on Solaris, but when I run the 0.8.16 Windows
> version, the headers don't show up.

If I modify the code in "follow_read_stream()" to strip the 8th bit off
of all characters before adding them to the "Follow TCP Stream" text
window, it shows the headers of the mail message.

This isn't a specifically German difficulty...

...as languages other than German have accented letters, or
non-Roman-alphabet letters. :-)

This may be the result of

	1) some difference between GTK+-on-X11 and GTK+-on-Windows made
	   necessary by the way Windows works;

	2) some difference between the GTK+ 1.2[.x] that we use on X11
	   and the Windows GTK+ port which is closer to GTK+ 1.3/2.0.

GTK+ 2.0 will, I think, do a much better job of handling non-ASCII text,
but it might require changes to applications (and those changes might
clean up the appliation, by making it use some GTK+ 2.0 improvements),
and Ethereal can't *require* GTK+ 2.0 until GTK+ 2.0 is released, and
even then we'd want to wait until it's relatively easy for people to
download and install 2.0.  (Fortunately, it's possible to install both
1.2 and 2.0, and run both programs linked with 1.2 shared libraries and
2.0 shared libraries on UNIX systems, although I'm not sure whether
it'll be easy to *develop* both for 1.2 and 2.0.)