Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] FAQ? (Filters)

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gilramir@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:35:05 -0600
Ted Wagner wrote:

> Example, I'd like to be able to watch packets going to TCP port 1601 on a specific machine...
>
> Here's what I have tried from reading the documentation:
>
> ip and tcp.port == 1601
> (ip and tcp.addr == 126.1.1.2) and tcp.port == 1601

Addresses exist in the IP protocol, not in the TCP protocol, so your
filter
would be:

ip.addr == 126.1.1.2 and tcp.port == 1601

The documentation has a list of the fields that each protocol has.

> etc.
>
> Is there a FAQ I can read that would talk about filters and the different options/commands, etc.?

Nope, just the main Ethereal documentation.
Ethereal does have a GUI filter creation option. Choose the "Add
Expression"
button in the filter dialogue box.

--gilbert