Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:17:45 -0800 (PST)
> Probably because there's something wrong with the pathname construction
> code, at least on Windows.
>
> I didn't have that precise problem; I fired up Ethereal once, added a
> new display filter, and it saved it OK, but I then fired it up again,
> deleted the new display filter, and when I tried to save it the dialog
> box was
>
> 	Could not save to your display filter file "": File exists.

...which may be the result of a bug in the "save_filter_list()" routine,
wherein it stores through a pointer argument a pointer to the pathname
of the filter file it was trying to save, and then frees the pathname
string, so its caller, when it tries to use that pathname in an error
message, may get junk from it.

That wouldn't explain the error, but it would explain the bogus file
name in the dialog box.