Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] How to identify a runt and its source

From: David Edward Shapiro <David.Edward.Shapiro@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:20:40 -0500
Thanks, I triple checked the switch and server for 100 fdx and they are set
100 fdx.  Both interfaces are getting these errors in the server and both
are connected to the switch 100 fdx.  I think that makes the bad nic and
cables or bad switch ports unlikely, although slightly possible.  That
leaves drivers, interference, or software.  I guess I would expect
interference to exist with all the servers though because all their cables
run next to each other and go to the same switch, so that kind of rules out
interference.  I upgraded the solaris 2.6 with the latest cluster patch
yesterday, which I think leaves software.   I am writing a perl script now
to see if I can catch the smaller packets and try to identify the source,
but I am afraid I may find that they are dropped prior to ethereal seeing
them, so I might not see anything.  I think snoop has a -D option to show
dropped packets, but packets are dropped for a variety of reasons, so I am
not sure how you would know they were dropped because they are runts.
Actually, that is a good question:  What are the reasons packets are dropped
and how do you see dropped packets with ethereal.

David