Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Possible bug in Win32 build of Ethereal 0_8_15

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:51:40 -0800
On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 02:57:07PM -0000, Andy Leigh wrote:
> Entering the same filter into the "Ethereal Filters" window and saving it,
> then subsequently using the saved version in the "capture filter
> preferences" window causes Ethereal to bomb out big time, saying:
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 3321 (gtk_widget_set_sensitive):
> assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

There was a bug (not specific to Win32, although the symptoms may differ
from platform to platform) in the filter dialog box code; a fix has been
checked in, and will appear in the next release.

> In short, I've got a lot of filters I've saved and now can't run any of them
> without Ethereal crashing

It's not a question of running them, it's a question of clicking "OK" in
a filter dialog box popped up as a result of clicking the "Filter"
button in the capture preferences dialog box.

As a workaround, try selecting the text of the filter expression in the
filter dialog box, typing control-C to copy it to the clipboard, and
then using control-V to paste it into the text entry box in the capture
preferences dialog box.

> (and sometimes taking the machine with it.

Windows 9x, or Windows NT/2000? If it's Windows 9x, that's probably just
Windows OT not bothering to protect some of the OS's memory from being
written by applications (you run a significant risk of system crashes
due to application crashes on Windows OT); NT (which includes 2000) does
a better job there.