Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Installation of ETHEREAL

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:04:44 -0800 (PST)
> Hi Ethereal experts,
>
> >From what I read, the Ethereal seems the perfect tool for me
> to unpack TCP packets. So I thought, let me quickly install it.
> Therefore, I downloaded the following files:
>
>  - GTK+:    gtk+-1.2.8.tar

"gtk+-1.2.8.tar", or "gtk+-1.2.8-solaris2.7-sparc-local.gz"?

If you downloaded "ethereal-0.8.14-solaris2.7-sparc-local" - by which
you probably mean "ethereal-0.8.14-solaris2.7-sparc-local.gz", as the
gzipped form is what's on the EThereal Web site - you probably want to
install "gtk+-1.2.8-solaris2.7-sparc-local.gz", as "gtk+-1.2.8.tar"
sounds like the name of a source tarball, rather than a binary Solaris
package of GTK+.

You also want to download "glib-1.2.8-solaris2.7-sparc-local.gz",
because not only do Ethereal and Tethereal use GLib, GTK+ itself uses
GLib, and no GTK+ programs will work without GLib being installed.

The page at

	http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/solaris/

says:

	Glib and GTK+ were linked dynamically and must reside in
	/usr/local on your system in order for Ethereal to run.  Separate
	Glib/GTK+ packages are provided below.  Glib *must* be installed
	first, followed by GTK+, and then Ethereal.

so, as indicated, you must install the packages in that order.

In addition, that page also says:

	Ethereal packages for Solaris 7 are provided below.  The libpcap
	and zlib libraries were linked statically, and do not need to be
	installed separately.

so you don't need to do anything with libpcap unless you plan to
*recompile* Ethereal from source.

They're all SVR4/Solaris packages, so you use the standard Solaris
commands for installing packages.