Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Filtering problems

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:45:07 -0800
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 09:24:07AM +0100, Hesmert Albrecht ICM N MC MI SI 1 wrote:
> I also would be helpful to state clearly in the GUI whether you
> have to enter a display filter or a capture filter.

It states clearly in the GUI that you have to enter a capture filter, at
least if your window manager shows window titles; the title bar of the
window says "Capture Preferences". :-)

I'm not sure whether labeling the filter in the dialog box would be
redundant or not.

(Capture filters will never be able to do everything display filters
can, but some of these problems may eventually be cleared up by
supporting a capture filter syntax similar to that of display filters;
Ethereal and Tethereal could probably compile those into tcpdump-style
filters.)