Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Truly infinite capture

From: "Fulvio Risso" <risso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:05:21 +0100

libpcap should be the library Ntop uses to capture and filter packets.
WinPcap is the better porting of libpcap on Win32; it has all the original
system calls plus some more.

> > In other way, ntop is just another packet capture tool. The difference
> > between Ethereal and ntop is just that Ethereal shows packets
> > while ntop
> > shows statistics. However the internals, i.e. the overhead to
> > perform that
> > job, are absolutely the same.
> > Therefore, I guess, your P-III - 1GHz could not be able to
> > grab all traffic.
>
> <shrug>  Even if it's missing packets, it ought to miss them at random,
> right?  Therefore at least the percentages for relative amount of protocol
> usage would be correct.  The raw bandwidth numbers I can get from the
> routers themselves via SNMP.
>
> As long as it doesn't *crash* it'll probably work... once the packet
> dissectors are fixed.

I guess so.
The relative percentage should be correct; however you suold not be able to
determine the link load.
I mean, you should be able to know that IPX traffix = 30% IP, but you should
to be able to know that IP traffic = 80% of the link bandwidth.

> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> <grin>  Don't know yet.  I've built the box, but haven't put it
> in play yet.
> I'll let you know (should I post to the list?).

Probably not.

Cheers,

	fulvio