Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] the http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/ site is down!!??

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:36:23 -0700
On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 09:48:51PM +0000, Dhruv Choksey wrote:
> i would really like to use ethereal however i am surprised that no one in
> the faq/news group area questioned why the
> http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/ site for winpcap site as well as
> it's other sub sites are down!

"Down" is often a transient state for Web sites - and a site can appear
"down" for reasons having nothing to do with the state of the site - so
it's not clear that putting a "this site might be down when you try to
get to it; if so, try later" every time we mention a Web site makes
sense.

In this case, though, people often seem to think it indicative of some
permanent problem, rather than just an indication of a temporary
problem, so that they should try again later, so perhaps a FAQ is called
for (with an answer along the lines of "As with all Web sites, that site
won't necessarily always be available; if you fail to connect to it, try
again later.").

> is it just me or are they really down?

Well, an attempt to connect to its HTTP server failed; however, it's
failed in the past, but succeeded later, so I currently have no reason
to believe it's "down" as in "that site has disappeared forever from the
net" - it could be down due to a problems somewhere, or due to a
hardware or software upgrade, or it could be inaccessible due to a
networking problem.

> if they are down, do you have
> another mirror site where i can download the necessary files/dlls/programs
> from?

I don't know of any.