Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] linux compile problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:50:29 -0700
On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 11:48:52AM -0400, Wendy A. Verschoor wrote:
> Trying to compile ethereal 0.8.10 on a Red Hat Linux machine, uname -a
> says:

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.     -Wall -g -O2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
> -c libpcap.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

> how can i fix this?

By telling Red Hat support that there's a GCC bug that causes it to get
a SIGSEGV ("signal 11") when it compiles the "libpcap.c" file from
Ethereal 0.8.10, and asking them if there's a fix to GCC that makes it
not get a SIGSEGV.

(I'm assuming here that you're using the compiler that came with Red
Hat, rather than a version that somebody else installed on the machine;
I don't know what the right way to be would be to determine that if you
don't already know whether that's the case.  If you are running some
other version of GCC, contact whoever you got that version from.)