Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Any clues: undefined symbol: snmp_set_suffix_only

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:40:02 -0700
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 11:48:44PM -0700, Beckmeyer wrote:
> Apologies in advance if this group is the wrong place to ask...
>
> I'm running RH 6.2 on an Intel box.  I have been getting:
>
> ethereal: error in loading shared libraries: ethereal: undefined symbol:
> snmp_set_suffix_only
>
> eveytime I try to start ethereal.
>
> Any help would be appreciated

	http://ethereal.zing.org/faq.html#q3.5

"Q 3.5: Ethereal will not run because snmp_set_full_objid or
snmp_set_suffix_only is an undefined symbol.

A: You've upgraded to UCD SNMP 4.1.1, right? Or perhaps you're using
RedHat 6.2.

UCD SNMP 4.1.1 removed from the library a routine that Ethereal calls
(it changed it to a macro wrapper for another routine; it changed both
snmp_set_full_objid, used by pre-0.8.10 Ethereal, and
snmp_set_suffix_only, used by 0.8.10 and later), and the RPMs for
Ethereal are built on a pre-RH 6.2 system with the earlier UCD SNMP (as
per the "-v" message), which means they won't work with systems such as
RH 6.2 that have UCD SNMP 4.1.1.

A workaround to this problem was introduced in Ethereal 0.8.10, so you
should first upgrade to Ethereal 0.8.10 or later.

However, that workaround works only if the SNMP shared library can be
referred to as /usr/lib/libsnmp.so, not just as, for example,
/usr/lib/libsnmp.so.0.  You should make a symbolic link from
/usr/lib/libsnmp.so to the /usr/lib/libsnmp.so.version file (version
will probably be 0), if that symbolic link doesn't already exist."

The joys of binary incompatibility between OS releases.  You're running
0.8.10 or later, as the error mentions "snmp_set_suffix_only"; make the
symlink in question, and try again.