Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] Network Analyzer

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:13:24 +0200
Hi,

Before my question, what I did:
1.)
I have downloaded:
1.     ethereal-0.8.10capture.zip
2.    gtk-libs-20000416.zip
3.    ethereal.1.htm
4.    faq.html

2.)
The Packet-Driver was already on the PC.

3.)
After the instalation und start came the GUI.

4.)
On the command-line I took the name of the
interface: ipconfig /all --> CE31 (PCMCI)

5.)
I've defined under "Capture/Start" --> "Capture Prefernces" the
Interface
CE31 and closed the window with "ok"

6.)
I received the message:
"The capture session could not be initiated (error opening adapter)
Please check to make sure you have sufficient permissions,
and that you have proper interface specified"

7.)
a.    So, my uid is "admin", that's ok.
b.    The network is ok, I can build for ex. telnet session.

8.)
In the manuel under "Caputer Prefernces" isn't  this the problem.

My question is:
do you know, why  the sniffer can not see the interface?

Many thanks and regards,

Paul

x.400 :   g=paul;s=nemeth;o=ugfu;a=admin;c=ch
internet:paul.nemeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx