Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Unable to scroll in real time

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:59:04 -0700
On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 11:42:48AM -0500, pcguy wrote:
>   I have ethereal 0.8.10 installed on a Win98 box that has two NICs.

Are you *absolutely positively certain* that you're running 0.8.10, and
not some pre-0.8.10 release?

> I can not
> select the UPDATE LIST OF PACKETS IN REAL TIME for either of these
> cards. The option is greyed out.

Are you *absolutely positively certain* that it's greyed out?

There was code in pre-0.8.9 releases that unconditionally greyed that
option out on Win32 systems, as, prior to 0.8.10, there was no support
for it on *any* adapters.

There is, in 0.8.10, no code to gray it out, period - there is not a
single call to "gtk_widget_set_sensitive()", which is the GTK+ call to
grey-out or un-grey-out widgets, anywhere in "gtk/capture_dlg.c", which
is the source file containing the code to pop up that dialog box; as
such, I have immense difficulty believing that 0.8.10 could possibly
grey it out, unless, somehow, the 0.8.10 Win32 binary distribution was
miscompiled and still has the code from prior to 0.8.10 for that file.

> Any suggestions?

Use the "Find" item on the Start menu to find *all* files named
"ethereal.exe", remove them all to make sure *no* pre-0.8.10 versions of
Ethereal are present, and then download the latest Ethereal (0.8.11) and
install it; then try it again.