Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] Non-modal window deallocation bug in win32 build of ethereal

From: "Laurence Parry" <greenreaper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 09:18:18 BST
My first message, and it's a bug report! Hopefully I haven't got the wrong list, or something that is repeated about once a month . . .

I started off using ethereal fine - it disabled NAT-32, but I expected that. However, when using the real-time captured packets display, I found that, since the capture status window was non-modal when in real-time mode, the main window could be closed while leaving the capture window open. This then caused problems with closing the capture window - on doing so I got a GPF and the annoying sight of text being output in a command window to stderr and then immediately closed by Windows . . . I managed to get a copy of the output using "ethereal > out.txt". Here it is - looks to be fairly straightforward debug assertions indicating premature deallocation of the window objects, but I'm not into GTK, so I can't really fix it in the source:
_________________
Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1163 (gtk_object_ref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1173 (gtk_object_unref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1163 (gtk_object_ref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1173 (gtk_object_unref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1163 (gtk_object_ref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `GtkLabel'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtklabel.c: line 260 (gtk_label_set_text): assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkobject.c: line 1173 (gtk_object_unref): assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed.

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `GtkWindow'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwindow.c: line 405 (gtk_window_set_title): assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed.

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkwindow-win32.c: line 1846 (gdk_window_set_icon_name): assertion `window != NULL' failed.