Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Font problem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:56:31 -0700
On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 07:35:48AM -0700, Scott Mann wrote:
> > I'm willing to know if somone of you have had this problem while trying to
> > run ethereal for the first time:
> >
> > Error font -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1 not
> > found (use -m option)

Red Hat's X doesn't come with that font?  That's a little surprising; I
thought it was a fairly standard font that came with X11Rn - a bunch of
Lucida Typewriter fonts appear to come with the X11R6 (XFree86 3.x, for
some value of "x") that comes with FreeBSD.

> Hi Jaime,
>
> I'm not sure, with your comment about installation, if this is what you
> are asking for, but I use
>
> # ethereal -m
> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--8-80-75-75-p-46-iso8859-1&

Hmm.

Perhaps, instead of having code wired into Ethereal to select the
fixed-width font to use, we should have Ethereal

	1) come with a "gtkrc" file that specifies it;

	2) install that "gtkrc" file in either
	   "/usr/local/etc/ethereal.gtkrc" or in
	   "/usr/local/etc/ethereal/gtkrc";

	3) have Ethereal load that file.

That might allow the user to configure fonts more easily, and allow them
to change either the global "gtkrc", if they have permission to do so,
or "~/.ethereal/gtkrc", in case the default Lucida Typewriter font was
unavailable, rather than having to pass a '-m" flag to Ethereal every
time they run it.

(This might also let us put

	style "gtk-tooltips-style" {
	      bg[NORMAL] = "#ffffc0"
	}

	widget "gtk-tooltips" style "gtk-tooltips-style"

into the default file, so that tooltips come out in the pale yellow
they're *supposed* to have, rather than the gray that GTK+ gives them by
default - although, frankly, I think GTK+ should put that in a default
"gtkrc" that *it* installes in "/usr/local/etc/gtk/gtkrc" or wherever
the GTK+ installation puts it, so that everybody gets yellow tooltips by
default.)

(We might also make the fonts configurable from the "Preferences" dialog
box, under "GUI", using the GTK+ font selection box, although the pain
with that would be that either

	1) we'd have to provide some way to preserve settings Ethereal
	   doesn't directly know about when writing "~/.ethereal/gtkrc"
	   out

or

	2) users wouldn't be able to add their own settings to that file
	   unless they avoided ever changing any of them through the
	   GUI, as writing the file out would trash their settings.)