Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Question about SNMP decoder with regard to response port

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
>  What causes the different behavior in Ethereal is that some SNMP agents
> reply to GET message on the well-known contact port (161), whereas
> others reply on a different port (basically, iterative vs concurrent
> server model).

Oh, joy, another case where we have to use the same hack we use for
TFTP.

(Not that I should be griping too much, as when I originally did the
NetBIOS-over-TCP implementation for NetApp filers, I think there were
cases where NetBIOS Name Service packets weren't sent from port 137; it
worked, at least in the situations we ran across then, but I would have
caused similar problems with Ethereal.)

I'll look into providing better support for that hack, so we can use it
for other datagram-transport-layer request/response protocols.

Do you have a capture on which I can test any changes I make?