Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Win9x problems

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:43:03 -0700
On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 05:17:03PM -0500, pcguy wrote:
> Have a couple of problems and question regarding running 0.8.9 under
> Windows9x. I have ethereal on a Win95 both that has two 3COM cards.
> When I select the capture pull down to select which NIC I want to
> capture from there are two lines both showing ELNK3. I have selected
> the 1st which was not the one I wanted. However I can not click on
> the second entry or if I try to it appears ethereal still starts the
> capture using the other NIC.
>
> I wound up having to unbind the 2.02 Network Packet Driver from the
> first NIC. That way there was only one ELNK3 showing up in the drop
> down list. Is there any way of correcting this problem?

I think this question was asked here a short while ago; I didn't know
the answer then, and still don't, but Fulvio Risso (one of the
developers of the code Ethereal uses to capture packets on Windows
9x/NT) might.

Fulvio, if you have a machine with more than one network card of a
particular type, is there any way to arrange that libpcap, on 9x,
provide names for each of the cards that allow an application to open
either one of them with that name?

> Also can you set the DISPLAY option to ALWAYS show the TIME OF DAY?

Not directly.

You can, however:

	select Edit->Preferences;

	select the "Columns" tab in the dialog box;

	select the "Time" column in the list;

	change the "Column format" item to "Absolute time";

	click on the "Change" button;

	click on the "Save" button.

This won't currently *immediately* cause Ethereal to display the time
stamp column as a time of day; however, the next time Ethereal is
started, it will display the time stamp column as a time of day.

Note, though, that this changes the column format from "Time (command
line specified)", which can actually not only be specified on the
command line but can also be change from "Display->Options", to
"Absolute time", which is *always* absolute time (date/time of day),
regardless of what "-t" option is supplied on the command line and what
format is selected with "Display->Options".

I.e., it sets the option to *ALWAYS* display the time of day, *even if
you ask it to display something else*.