Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Problems with Ethereal.

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:17:57 -0500
On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 12:06:16PM -0500, McNutt, Justin M. wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've had two problems with Ethereal 0.8.7.
>
> 1)  I downloaded the sources are tried to compile them, but the make fails
> complaining about packet_socks.c (INT_MAX undeclared).  I can get the exact
> error if anyone is interested.

Yes, please supply the exact error. glib.h includes <glibconfig.h> which
defines G_MAXINT as INT_MAX. glibconfig.h includes limits.h which, as defined
by ANSI, is the file that defines INT_MAX. Something is severely messed up.

What OS and version are you using? What compiler and version are you using?

> 2)  Since I couldn't get the compile working (after three days of hacking)
> downloaded the .tar.gz binaries and installed them.  As root, I get:
>
> /usr/bin/ethereal:  No such file or directory /usr/bin/ethereal
>
> I get this error twice.  The perms are 755 on /usr/bin/ethereal.
>
> Any suggestions?

very strange..

> Other notable information:  'file /usr/bin/ethereal' shows the file to be a
> 32-bit ELF executable for the 80386, dynamically linked (might I be missing
> libraries it needs?).  Running 'ldd /usr/bin/ethereal' fails because it

Are you running this on a 32-bit x86 platform that supports ELF? I assume
you're using Linux, but you need to tell us.

The library requirements are outlined in the file called "INSTALL" in the
Ethereal package.

--gilbert