Ethereal-users: [ethereal-users] How to get started ?

From: Ralf Schönian <Ralf.Schoenian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:42:57 +0200
Please help me with my very first steps in Ethereal.

I have a linux pc with Suse 6.3 and a TRN Madge Presto PCI card. My tr0 is running in the promiscuous mode. I have just installed
the latest version of Ethereal (0.8.7).

When I start the capture without any filter, at least I did not define any filter until now, I can only see the broadcast in our network. Is there any default filter? How can I find out if my token ring adapter is really running in the promiscous mode?

In the faq, I couldn�t find any question, that was as stupid as mine, so I guess that somewhere must be an introduction for beginners like me - but where can find this introduction?

Regards, Ralf Schoenian