Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Reassemble PDUs

From: "Grossert, Alexander" <Alexander.Grossert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 12:26:00 +0200
Title: Reassemble PDUs

Hello.

I'm stuck trying to reassemble PDUs of an internal protocoll of my company.

It runs on top of TCP and the problem is, that my PDUs are scattered on Frame-level, too.

This means I get the first PDU starting in Frame 9. It reaches into Frame 10 and a few bytes (not more than 14 or so) arrive in Frame 12 together with the next PDU. When I ask TCP to reassemble my PDUs I provide the number of bytes I want to have. It puts together Frames 9 and 10 correctly, but it also adds the complete Frame 12. This causes that the second PDU is regarded as payload of the first one.

It seems the TCP dissector always takes complete frames instead of the bytes I ask for only. So instead of 2063 Bytes that I asked for I get 3 complete frames with 3077 Bytes.

Anyone an idea how I can make the TCP dissector reassemble single bytes instead of the complete frames?

Thanks, Alex