Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Wiki.ethereal.com down?

From: "Jim Young" <sysjhy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 10:34:32 -0400
Hello Ulf,

>>> ulf.lamping@xxxxxx 05/07/06 7:01 AM >>>
>> Jim Young wrote:
>> This begs the question:  Which DNS server is answering
>> correctly?
>
> The address:
>
> 65.208.228.223
>
> is the correct one.
>
> The DNS record available at whois.networksolutions.com was
> created 1994 and expires 2012, so this is certainly a DNS
> server problem at earthlink and probably elsewhere.

The ISC Handlers directed me to the following ethereal news article
regarding a "Domain Hiccup - Friday, May 5, 2006"

  http://www.ethereal.com/news/item_20060505_01.html

Of course I didn't see this article it when I couldn't resolve
*ethereal.com domains. ;-)

I had checked the MARC archives hoping for some type of
announcment/report but again I didn't see anything other than
Oliver's first message.

Even as late as 05:00 UTC Sunday, May 7 2006 my ISP (and
likely others) was still returning the IP address for the Network
Solution's site 205.178.189.128 (resalehost.networksolutions.com)

The good news is that as of 14:00 UTC (Sunday) my ISP now has
it right and all of the *.ethereal.com domains resolve correctly.

Given the hiccup announcement I understand why my ISP might
have cached some bad answers.  But these cached "bad" answers
seemed to have persisted longer then I would have expected!

Thanks for the info.

Jim Y.