Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Assistance with BACNet bugs?

From: Steve Karg <skarg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:21:45 -0400
Hi Ronnie,

AFAIK   bacnet is a pay per standard thing.

BACnet is exactly like other networking standards (IEEE, ANSI, ISO, etc), and in fact, is an ANSI, ASHRAE, and ISO standard.

Considering the lack of patches offered I also estimate the interest
in fixing these bugs by people with access to the standard to be near
null. :-(

Well, the interest is gaining a lot of momentum since we added the application layer decoding last March. Up till then, it was not worth it to use Ethereal to decode the BACnet protocol. Now quite a few people are actually using it, which probably accounts for the rise in bug reports. :-)

IF the bacnet standards people could donate free of charge standards
to people with interest in fixing these issues or maintaining these
dissectors  I am sure that bug-to-resolution speed for these issues
would be greatly accelerated.

The draft version of the standard that the BACnet committee uses as a reference is usually available from the BACnet ftp server.
ftp://SSPC:135@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/Public-Review/

This is identical to other protocols RFCs, and in fact, the RFCs for BACnet are also freely available from the ASHRAE.org website during their public review period (see under Technology & Standards, Standards Actions and Public Review Drafts). For example, the following addenda are up for public review: BSR/ASHRAE Addendum c to ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2004, BACnet-A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks (Second Public Review Draft:ISC to First Public Review Draft). (File size = 677KB). BSR/ASHRAE Addendum d to ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2004, BACnet-A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks (Second Public Review Draft:ISC to First Public Review Draft). (File size = 98KB). BSR/ASHRAE Addendum e to ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2004, BACnet-A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks (Second Public Review Draft:ISC to First Public Review Draft). (File size = 75KB). BSR/ASHRAE Addendum f to ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2004, BACnet-A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks (First Public Review Draft). (File size = 219KB). BSR/ASHRAE Addendum g to ANSI/ASHRAE Standard 135-2004, BACnet-A Data Communication Protocol for Building Automation and Control Networks (First Public Review Draft). (File size = 761KB).

I neither got any sort of response from these people not from the ISO
people when i requested standards to be donated.
All my arguments that customers of theirs would have an enhanced
experience by good protocol analyzer support fell into the sand.

I guess you didn't ask the right people. :-) The flip-side is that there are companies that sell very good BACnet protocol analyzers (Cimetrics, Polarsoft - Windows only).

I can start looking at the bugs for that protocol (CAN is the keyword,
no promises made) day 1 after a free of charge full specification in
hardback is provided to me   free of charge.

When and if I ever get a current free-of-charge hardback standard, I can send it along to you. Those voting members of the BACnet committee (a dozen or so people) usually get a free hardcopy mailed to them by ASHRAE. I received the 2001 version, but never received the 2004 version. I also have a 1995 version that I keep in the office. I usually only reference the electronic version from the ftp site.

Please feel free to forward to the bacnet guys.   It would be really
useful to everyone if they could say upload the standards in pdf
format to the wiki.

Yes, it would be very useful. Unfortunately, the current BACnet standards are copyrighted by ASHRAE, and putting the BACnet PDF on the wiki would be illegal for me to do. I am working on getting that kind of release, but it hasn't happened yet.

end rant

Thanks for sharing!  I hope I can help.

Best Regards,

Steve