Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Drop support for MATE as lua becomes available?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 17:52:19 +0100
LEGO wrote:
I'm thinking in writing a library to give Lua some of the semantics behind MATE.
Sounds reasonable, preventing a lua developer from reinventing the wheel ...
Other more generic parts will be released indipendently of ethereal
with a more appropriate licence (LGPL or MIT), as the GPL makes most
libraries unusable in practice.
... for some commercial purposes, I agree with you.
at that point MATE would make no sense, although MATE will always be
faster than Lua (which itself turns out to be about 4x faster than
python and perl).
Well, there's no reason that some parts of the scripting functionality couldn't be implemented in plain C for performance reasons.

Ok, I know that's not always possible for semantic / modeling / practical reasons.

Regards, ULFL